No evidence of “chemicals forever” was found in processed foods. A survey of nationally distributed processed foods, including several processed baby foods, found no detectable traces of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) – so-called “eternal chemicals” used in a wide range of consumer and industrial products. The environmental task force says hundreds of everyday products are made with highly toxic fluorochemicals called PFAS. They accumulate in our body and never break down in the environment. Very low doses of PFAS have been linked to cancer, reproductive and immune system damage, and other illnesses. The recently published results come from a survey that included processed foods distributed nationally, including certain baby foods, frozen foods, and foods in cans, cans or jars, which are less likely to vary by location or time of year and are generally considered non-perishable. .
Milk can be in the crab cake meal. As of September 2, the Weis markets in Maryland and Pennsylvania have taken the $ 7 crab cake off the shelves in stores for not declaring milk (an allergen) on its label.
Undeclared nuts and more can be lurking in the carrot cake. Northern Illinois Carrot Cake Lovers! The Baking Institute Bakery Co., of Northbrook, Illinois, has been recalling its carrot cake since September 2 because it may contain undeclared nuts, coconut and milk.
The orange cookie may also contain milk. KBF Inc. of Astoria, New York, issued a recall on August 31 of its 8.11-ounce packages of “Banoful Top Orange Biscuit” food treats because they may contain undeclared milk allergens.
Beware of salmonella and listeria contamination in dog food. As of August 26, Top Quality Dog Food of Hyattsville, Maryland, is recalling “Beef HVM” pound packaging due to potential contamination with salmonella and listeria bacteria. The products can not only affect the animals that eat them, but they also pose a risk to humans who handle these contaminated products.
Earlier in August, the FDA sent a warning letter to pet food manufacturer Midwestern Pet Foods because an inspection revealed high levels of aflatoxin, a toxic substance produced by certain molds that can cause disease and death in pets. The agency suspects that more than 130 deaths and 220 illnesses in dogs may have been caused by the dog food brand Midwestern Pet Foods.
Bloody Mary mix can cause problems for people with allergies to soy and wheat. Jimbo’s Kitchen, DBA New England Cupboard, recalls Jimbo’s Bloody Mary Mix because it contains soy, wheat and sulphites not declared on products made from 8/23/2019 to 8/23/2021. The product has been distributed to local retail stores, boutiques, and mom-and-pop stores in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Minnesota.
Lox can pose a health risk. Seattle’s Loki Fish Company warned on August 23 that four-ounce packages of its Keta Salmon Lox (UPC code 92103 00111) could be contaminated with listeria. It has also been sold to the University District and the West Seattle Farmers Markets in Washington, and there is no expiration date on the package.