Fire Marshal: Fire that killed 3 people in Garden City caused by a cigarette smoker

A devastating fire that ravaged a Garden City home earlier this month, killing three members of one family, was caused by an individual who was smoking, Nassau County Fire Marshal Mike Uttaro said on Friday. .

The May 6 fire on Washington Avenue that killed Joseph Madigan, 62, Gail Madigan, 60, and their daughter Molly, 18, was deemed “accidental” and attributed to a person smoking cigarettes on the first floor, Uttaro said.

The house had two smoke detectors, but both of which were unusable, Uttaro said.

“The best way to honor those people who tragically lost their lives that day would be to go home and check and make sure your smoke detectors are working,” Uttaro said. “It’s a learning moment.”

Gail Madigan was a longtime volunteer leader of the Local Parents and Teachers Association while Molly, an elder from Garden City High School, was an accomplished musician, performing in chamber and concert choirs and in the ensemble. school vocal jazz. She was heading to the school of her dreams, NYU Steinhart School of Music, in the fall.

The couple had three older children, Claire, Emily and John, according to a GoFundMe page for the family who have raised $ 245,000 nowadays.

“As a community, Garden City is always looking for ways to help,” the GoFundMe page said. “Right now the best way to help is by donating for the expenses the family will face.”


Source link

About Margaret Shaw

Check Also

Puff Bar Is The Latest Electronic Cigarette Parents Should Know About

seksan Mongkhonkhamsao / Getty We have heard the facts about cigarette smoking. Although they are …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *