The Mercury provides news and fun every day, but your help is essential. If you think Portland has smart local media and arts coverage, consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you there is no us. Thanks for your help!
It’s official: children aged 5 to 11 have been given the green light to be vaccinated against COVID. Ivan Pantic / Getty Images
HELLO, PORTLAND! I am like a boy among men. I would like a permanent friend. I would like to think I was myself again. LET’S GO TO THE PRESS.
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• The homelessness crisis is not just a problem specific to Portland. Don’t miss this fascinating and in-depth look from our Alex Zielinski on how homeless people are abused and in some cases respected in eastern Multnomah County. It’s a real revelation!
I appreciate all of the Delta residents who have agreed to speak with me about this story.
Like Teresa Alatorre, who told me: “Some people who come here, I can say that they don’t see a difference between us and the garbage. People need to know that the homeless are not garbage. https://t.co/drNdZBl19w
– Alex Zielinski (@alex_zee) November 2, 2021
• A state advisory committee meeting to discuss the historic value of black monuments in Portland was halted and had to be canceled due to hate-filled racist and homophobic remarks left in the meeting’s chat room. Oregon State Police are investigating.
• For the first time in Oregon, the Washington County Council of Commissioners voted to ban the sale of flavored tobacco products, including menthol cigarettes and vape pens, which have caused an epidemic of nicotine addiction for young people.
• Oregon Democratic Senator Jeff Merkley has spoken out against Rahm Emanuel’s appointment as US ambassador because of his uneven civil rights record in Chicago.
While Jeff Merkley speaks out against the appointment of Rahm Emanuel, remember that Emanuel still obtained the support of several Republican senators, including Lindsey Graham and Susan Collins. https://t.co/8EA2Kd4rK7
– Scott Bixby (@scottbix) November 3, 2021
• If you like your rock on the feminine and heavy side then you won’t want to miss this fun, touching and uplifting interview featuring Amy Lee from Evanescence and Lzzy Hale from Halestorm from the always entertaining Elinor Jones.
IN NATIONAL / GLOBAL NEWS:
• Democrats received a disturbing wake-up call in last night’s election, in which Republicans won the governor’s chair in Virginia and are currently in a neck-and-neck battle with the New Jersey Democrats. This is of particular concern as Democrats head for the midterm elections next year. Meanwhile, voters in Minneapolis have said no to a measure that would have replaced their police department with a new Department of Security. But the news was not that bad! Democrat Shontel Brown won a House seat in Ohio, and Michelle Wu is the first woman AND person of color to become mayor of Boston.
House Democrats will add four weeks of paid vacation to the party’s social and climate spending program, people familiar with the plan said https://t.co/Ojh48eu7cb
– The Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) November 3, 2021
• It’s official: The CDC has approved COVID-19 vaccinations for children ages 5 to 11, meaning children in Oregon could be eligible for their vaccines any day now. (And just at the right time, here are the anti-vaccines.)
The CDC accepted the recommendation of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) that children aged 5 to 11 should be vaccinated against # COVID-19[FEMININE.
Le vaccin COVID-19 autorisé pour ce groupe est efficace à plus de 90 % pour prévenir le COVID-19.
Plus : https://t.co/cX2X5nMns7
– CDC (@CDCgov) 3 novembre 2021
• La Cour suprême doit entendre une affaire sur une loi sur le contrôle des armes à feu de l’État de New York qui interdit le port d’armes à feu en public – la plus grande affaire de droits d’armes à feu depuis une décennie.
“La Court Suprême […] has not been a place where we can share our stories. I hope that [the brief] shows judges that failure to regulate firearms in public is an existential threat to all of us. “-@tabithaesc https://t.co/shg79ogN4L
– Mars for our lives (@ AMarch4OurLives) November 3, 2021
• For the first time in decades, the Atlanta major league baseball team won a World Series last night, beating the Houston Astros in a 7-zip victory in Game 6 of the series.
• Congratulations to actress Kristin Stewart who announced her engagement to girlfriend Dylan Meyer!
• If you need a drink, you won’t want to miss the MercuryShot & Beer week, featuring creative and unique combinations of shots and beers of your favorite local drinks. It’s all taking place November 8-14, and you can get a taste of all the deals here!
Support Portland mercury
• And now… WEATHER: Dry and warmer today with a high of 61.
• And finally … “Okay, GOOD. Not say hi! “
I don’t know who the new one is, but not really a personality. ?? pic.twitter.com/dsmuC37NvP
– Fred Schultz (@ fred035schultz) November 2, 2021