Weekend apartment fire caused by cigarette butts, prevention tips provided by NPS

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA) — A weekend apartment fire caused by cigarette butts in Fort Wayne has left some people with no place to live.

According to the Fort Wayne Police Department, cigarette butts on an apartment patio ignited, causing a massive fire in the Hunt Club apartments.

Crews responded to the apartment complex fire off Illinois Road around 9:30 p.m. on April 2. Dozens of residents were evacuated when the fire broke out and thankfully no injuries were reported. Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames in about 40 minutes.

According to the National Park Services, each year nearly 1,000 smokers and non-smokers are killed in home fires caused by cigarettes and other smoking products, making it the number one cause of home fire death in the States. -United. The study goes on to say that most fires caused by smoking products start on beds or furniture, or in garbage cans.

Here are a few tips:

  • When smoking outdoors, dispose of cigarettes and ashes in a noncombustible (and infusible) box filled with sand, and never throw cigarettes on the ground.
  • Wherever you smoke, use deep, sturdy ashtrays with a wide, stable base that are hard to knock over, and place ashtrays on something sturdy and hard to light, like a table.
  • Soak cigarette butts and ashes in water before throwing them away. Never throw hot cigarette butts or ashes in the trash.
  • Make sure cigarettes and ashes are out before throwing them in the trash.

For more advice, you can visit their website.

Copyright 2022 WPTA. All rights reserved.

About Margaret Shaw

Check Also

Premier Manufacturing launches a new look for 1839 cigarettes

Photo courtesy of US Tobacco Cooperative RALEIGH, North Carolina — Premier Manufacturing launches a new …